Sunday, February 5, 2012

I have a dream: The Mamma Mia Experience


I was instantly hooked when I saw the Mamma Mia movie version in 2008. I loved everything about it. The songs(I can't pick one favorite), the actors, the dancing, the setting(Beautiful Greece), the wedding(I want a Mamma Mia-inspired wedding. Seriously), the costumes, well, all. What's not to like, anyway? It's captivating, feel-good, and it makes you reminisce the memorable 70s (as if I was already born during the hippie/retro/FlowerPower period), basically, your childhood. One of my cheer up techniques during down moments is making You Tube ala videoke and I search Mamma Mia songs with lyrics and just sing away.

So, when I heard Mamma Mia is coming to the Philippines for a month-long run, it was not a question of "Would I go or not?"(It was more, "Can I afford it?" Haha). It was early September 2011 and I already prepared myself(and my pocket) for it. However, a week later, there's news that Jason Mraz(my all-time favorite musician) is coming to Manila for a one-night October concert. Since I do not have the budget to attend both, I chose Mr. A-Z(No regrets. I will see him live over and over again, if money's not an option). The (aMrazing)concert went by, the year ended, and Mamma Mia was fast approaching.


Come January, unstoppable me bought tickets to see Mamma Mia!
Come 4th of February, I made another dream a reality - see Mamma Mia! live.
I was extremely excited - it's my first time to watch at CCP's Main Theater, first time to catch an international production and of course, because it's Mamma Mia!.
I went with my stepmom(who's a great companion, btw), bought myself Mamma Mia hat(which I'm wearing now) and t-shirt, and took pictures at the lobby just because.
We were seated at the balcony, the farthest part, but I was surprised the view is good and it was a nice position to be at. The show was amazing! I love Abba so it was difficult refraining myself from singing out loud when I know the lyrics of the songs. The actors, though with accent, had great timing, vocals and choreography. The story is predictable(take it from someone who watched the movie gazillion times) but the entire experience is worth it. During the encore or the Mamma Mia/Dancing Queen/Waterloo medley, my stepmom and I stood up, sang and danced away. I've read about audiences dancing in the aisles and it's kind of disappointing that there's only a few who did it during the show. But well, I did it. I'm glad I did because the moment was too enjoyable - I just want to dance and sing out loud. Jason Mraz once said "Don't let your mind keep you from having a good time". I had the best time. I'm on a high(and still, at the moment).

Mamma Mia! is an experience of a lifetime.
Dear Abba, thank you for the music. I mean, really.
I have a dream. Now, it is a realized dream. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment