Sunday, May 6, 2012

Trek, Swim at a Crater, Have Fun - - CHECK!


Of all my 2012 adventures, this has to be the most physically draining and challenging. Take that from self-proclaimed never-athletic me. No amount of research and occasional gym trips prepared me to the exhausting journey to Mt. Pinatubo. We left Manila 2am, arrived in Capas Tarlac around 5, rode the 4x4 vehicle for an hour and at 7:40am arrived at the starting point of the trek. I never thought the trek up the crater would actually last almost 3 hours. There were rocks, streams, mountains all around, lots of lahar and it goes on and on, I believed it was endless. The last 30 minutes to the crater was a "forest" feel and upon reaching the top of the climb, I was in awe of the surroundings. The view of the crater was magnificent! It was a gloomy day so we weren't able to see the water in its turquoise tone but nonetheless, all the effort was worth it.

The experience was made possible and more memorable by my high school friends Xanne and Aldrin, who were very helpful and encouraging all throughout the trip. We took pictures, went down to the shore, had a quick lunch and swam in the waters. It's not everyday you get to swim at a volcano's crater!!!

We originally planned to take the boat to the hot spring area but then it started to rain and our guides asked us to pack and leave the crater earlier. We hiked back for 2 hours, and I have to thank Kuya Michael for assisting me while I cross difficult paths, offering to apply first-aid treatment to my wounded feet and for carrying my bag for a while because I was tired already. My friends and Kuya were so nice to me and made this adventure 100x more special. Though it would take me a long time, stronger motivation and a better physique to climb a mountain again, my first attempt to do it was a success!
I'm proud of myself for trying something way out of my league, pushing my limits and fighting for my adventures. What I lack in agility, I make up for in attitude. LOL.

By the way, I'm taking a short break from this little project of mine to savor the moment(my birthday is coming up!), gain more energy and save some funds for my next trips. I really, really want to go to Coron, Puerto Princesa and Sagada this year. Aja!

No comments:

Post a Comment