Sunday, January 22, 2012

Reader's Corner: The Help by Kathryn Stockett


The Help by Kathryn Stockett is about the lives of colored domestic helpers working for white families, in 1960's Jackson, Mississipi, where there is high racial discrimination. Treating their boss' children like their own but being mistreated in return, receiving punishment for using the "bathroom for whites" and getting killed for speaking up against the evident inequality were some of the heartbreaking accounts I've been open to while reading this masterpiece. The maids' stories were real, though often sad, were touching. Beautifully written, the book connected with me as if I'm at the setting's kitchen, hearing the careful whispers for change.
I just have to say that I adored Minny's character, outspoken but true to herself, she sparkled in that era of fear.

The values I gained from the best-seller were respect and fairness.
Growing up with helpers in the household, I established love-hate-love-love relationships with them, but I am lucky to be raised with respect to these significant people in my life. Their presence made up for my alone moments especially when I was younger and I needed the extra attention and unconditional love they provided me with.
I'm grateful for Ate Mercy, Ate Dorina and Ate Vangie.

Memorable line/s: "You is good. you is beautiful. You is important'

No comments:

Post a Comment