Sunday, January 29, 2012

DIY Binondo FoodTrip


Except for the usual Siomai and Chowking fare(and my all-time favorite Hanpao Noodle Feast, which restaurant closed down), I am not fond of Chinese cuisine. Whenever my family dine out, I am very vocal of my dislike of Chinese restaurants. Sure, I eat the stuff but not the happy and excited feeling when having pasta, ice cream, pizza. You know?

It's quite ironic to write Binondo as one of my go-to places in my planner. Maybe it's my mechanism telling me "Ayen, give Chinese food a try."
I've been there when I was younger and have passed the area so many times before, but I read enough blog entries and raves to look forward to going back there for a "food adventure".
Yesterday, I persistently convince my boyfriend to go there with me for merienda.
We went, and without plans, ended up at random eateries to fill up our stomachs.

Highlights:
1. Quick Stop - siomai is so-so, black gulaman is sweet and yummy and the Fried Lumpia is the best tasting lumpia I had. Rarely do I see Ado eat vegetables, well, he enjoyed the lumpia.
2. Dong Bei - I read somewhere that they serve the best dumplings in Binondo. Not fond of dumplings, but they sure are delicious. The pork and chives variants are good, Ado liked them. But again, not for me to repeat. By the way, I liked the canned tea they served, which tasted like gulaman.
3. Random grocery store - Bought Korean ice cream sandwich. I'm obsessed with ice cream, divine.
4. Eng Bee Tin and Holland Store - We dropped by these places to check out hopia, tikoy (fish shaped ones are cute but I never eat tikoy), delicacies and other edible stuff. I saw Ian Dy of Old Manila Walks at Holland Hopia Store with his tour group. I initially thought of joining his tour but Ado disagreed saying we have limited budget. True but I still want to join someday.
5. Singabore Fish balls - Tried the curry fish balls which lost my appetite. Ado had lobster and squid balls which were good, according to him.

Our Binondo food trip was nice, but honestly, these foods are not for me. It was a memorable experience though and I learned the importance of research the next time I go for a food adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment