Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Mission Accomplished

I remember quite well how this blog began. It was one restless Saturday in January 2012, figuring out where to go in the metro(just so I can enjoy my weekend to its full potential), searching the world of internet for something to do and nagging my then-boyfriend to go out with me. I got stuck viewing Celine Novenario’s 30 Before 30 Project posts and felt a pang of envy. That Macau bungee jump video was replayed over and over and over until the crazy thought of doing a bucket list version for myself hit me. Bored, broke and broken, I went off to an adventure that changed my life forever.

Since college days, I’ve been making a list of places I want to go to, restaurants I want to try and activities I would like to experience but at the end of the day, I only get to cross out 10% of them(mostly the restaurants part). On went the excuses (can’t afford, my parents won’t allow me, I’m a weakling!) which “barred my wings from flying”. With a fighting mindset, I tried my best to focus on my goals and did things far beyond what the normal Ayen can: Hiked Pinatubo with a broken heart, cliff dive, enrolled myself in a yoga class, swam in a volcano’s crater, cooked an actual, edible meal (for real!), read 30 books in a year, did an Eat Pray Love version in Dumaguete & Siquijor, tried boxing, watched a Rico Blanco concert alone, snorkeled in the open sea sans vest, gave up junk food for a month, cut my hair short, survived spelunking 300 ft under, and the list goes on..All crazy, fun bucket list entries which made me grow up and bask under the opportunities of this existence. Looking back, I completely changed. I've become more aware, driven, confident, open-minded, faithful, grateful and less worrywart, melancholic, self-centered me me me. Even in my underpants I feel different, but for the better. The road to this bucket list project was a roller coaster ride of bliss, failures, spontaneity, turnarounds and discoveries. I did not even finished them all - driving license and the tricky part, faith - but I have gained more than what I originally set off for and I believe this is a fitting conclusion - Sometimes life takes you to places which weren't part of your plan because maybe, there is a bigger plan. There's a reason why you're in a situation at a certain time and place - let the experience be a lesson and the people with you be the teachers. Now I know why I met 2 German sisters in Apo Island while my mind was  stuck in work-related thoughts, they just told me "You'll never know when you'll be here again. You are lucky to be here, enjoy it".

It’s less than a day before 2013 comes to a close, and so does the decision that this will be my last post. I am officially bidding my farewell to this chapter of my life, but I’ll be bringing with me all the awesome memories of the journey and the most precious realization of all – that I can do things and be things. My life began with this project but it will not be the end thereof. Each day, a new beginning is given to be filled with lived experiences. 

Beginning again,
Ayen



No comments:

Post a Comment