Sunday, July 1, 2012

Reader's Corner: For One More Day by Mitch Albom

It's been a while since I read a Mitch Albom, that being Tuesdays with Morrie, but it is a fresh memory to reminisce having read words and words beautifully crafted together to produce a masterpiece about the joys, failures, sadness and triumphs of human existence. 


It couldn't be a better time to get myself a copy of  'For One More Day' than Mother's Day in May (another delayed post!). What hooked me into buying a copy was the teaser "It will make you believe in the eternal power of a mother's love". The phrase hunted me for days until I finally bought one, and I attest, it was one of my best buys. It was an emotional read, with all the rawness, relevance and honesty, for someone like me who grew up without much of my mother's presence around. This book made me realize how much I miss my mom, heightened my love for her and intensified my wishes to be with her. 

The story revolves around a middle-aged guy who, out of a series of failures, decided to die. Along the way, he got an unexpected visit or presence by his already dead mother and from there, comes a journey of reflections, realizations, and revelations by the power of love. The "Times my Mother Stood Up For Me" and "Times I Did Not Stand Up For My Mother" parts brought me a lot of tears. The stories were heartbreaking and heartwarming. I finished the book in an afternoon. Mr. Albom is a star. 


On a more personal note, I hope I could share this book with my mom someday.
As I quote, "Behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin."
Makes sense - a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment